However there was a big "but" in the column.
The ideal franchise will have a proven success formula consisting of four critical items:
- Profit record. (well in 2020, YTB will be bigger than Walmart and Amazon combined)
- Brand recognition. (Well, yes, but not for the right reasons)
- Operating procedures. (Hey, if it takes a bunch of legal action to have ethical procedures....)
- Support and training. (Yes, but only for those interested in recruiting. Minimal focus on travel)
Some additional things to check when you are evaluating a franchise opportunity include:
1. Examples and profiles of successful operators. (We have 126 of our 300,000)
2. Sales quotas and performance requirements. (None for travel, but if you recruit, you betcha!)
3. Restrictions on selling the business. (We have lot's of restrictions)
4. Satisfaction Awards from the Franchise Business Review (FBR). (We just became a franchise because we were told we had to. Don;t know these guys, but we are with the DSA. Don;t ask about the BBB, IATAN, Royal Caribbean, NCL, or others)
5. Membership in the International Franchise Association (IFA).(see comment to #4 above)
* Link is only typically good for 30 days!